How to add a Volume Discount in Auctiva Commerce
You can create volume discounts for products and purchases on your Auctiva Commerce store. This can allow you to create special discounts, like "Buy One, Get One Free" and "10% off orders of a hundred dollars or more." This tutorial will show you how to add a volume discount for line items and/or a group.
What is a Volume Discount?
A volume discount is a type of discount for customers that looks for either Quantity or Total Price to qualify a discount. When criteria for a volume discount are met, the discount is automatically applied to eligible items or an entire order, unlike coupons that have codes that the customer is required to submit at checkout.
Store Settings for Discount Mode
Your Auctiva Commerce store can handle volume discounts by Line item mode or Group by Category mode. Volume discounts look for either Quantity or Total Price to qualify a discount. When using Line Item mode, Volume Discounts will look at each individual line item and assess if either the Quantity or Total Price of the line item meets the volume discount requirements. If a line item is eligible, the discount is automatically applied to that line item. Multiple line items can have the volume discount applied when the qualifications are met.
When using the Group by Category mode, Volume Discounts will look at the items in the basket and assess if either the Quantity or Total Price of all the items together meets the volume discount requirements. The system will first examine the basket contents to determine if they are in a category with an applicable volume discount; if they are the volume discounts will be applied as appropriate. If no category based discounts are applied the items in the basket will then be evaluated to see if they qualify for any product level volume discounts. You can change these settings in Store> Configure> Store Settings. Look for the Volume Discount Mode box at the bottom of the page.
How to add a volume discount
To add a discount to a product, you can define the product using the Discount Scope field when you create a new volume discount. If for some reason you need to assign a discount per item, that task is addressed in the next section (see "How to assign a product to a volume discount").
Step 1. Add a volume discount.
- Go to Marketing> Volume Discount.
- Click on the Add Discount button. The Add Volume Discount page will load.
- Name: Enter the name of the discount. This discount is unique to your store and the name should be something that is easy for you to identify.
- Base on: This determines whether a discount is based on the quantity of items or the total value of items. To apply a discount based on the quantity of items, choose "Quantity of Line Item" from the drop-down menu. This option is best for doing a "Buy One, Get One Free" volume discount. To apply a discount based on the total value of items, choose the "Total Price of Line Item" option from the drop-down menu.
- Discount Levels: The Minimum and Maximum fields are for setting the appropriate quantities applicable for this volume discount. The Discount field allows you to give either a fixed price or a percentage discount. Enter the minimum and maximum values that must be reached in the Minimum and Maximum fields, respectively. The minimum and maximum values represent either the quantity or total price depending on the "Base on" option you've chosen. Next, enter a value in the Discount text field and choose Fixed Amount from the drop down menu to give a flat discount, or, choose Percent (%) from the drop down menu to discount by a percentage. To add another tier of quantities for this volume discount click on the Add Row button and fill in the newly visible fields.
- Discount Scope: Manage the categories and products that will be assigned to the volume discount. To designate all products, choose click the radio button next to Global. To designate certain products, choose the Specific option. Then, a new field will appear. Click on the "Change" link. The Manage Scope for ‘New Discount' page will appear. Either check the box next to products under the Assigned Categories section, or search for products under the Find Products section. Click on the Finish button.
Important Note: A customer can use volume discounts and coupons (i.e., order coupons, product coupons, shipping coupons) within the same order.
- Groups: To designate this discount to be used only for certain user groups, click the radio button next to the Selected Groups option. New choices will appear. Check the boxes next to user groups allowed to use this volume discount. Choose the All Groups option if you want to allow all customers to use this volume discount.
- Click on the Save button. The Manage Volume Discounts page will load and you will see the discount you just created.
Assign a volume discount to a product
As an alternative method to managing the Volume Discount Scope, you can assign a discount to a product using the product Discount page.
Step 1. Assign a volume discount to a product.
- Go to Inventory> Manage Inventory.
- Locate the product that will have the volume discount assigned by using the Categories box or the Search Inventory tool.
- Click on the Edit link for the product. The product Details page will load.
- Click on the Discounts tab. The Discounts page will load.
- Select the Attached checkbox of the volume discounts that will be assigned.
- Click the Finish button. The product Details page will load and the volume discounts are assigned.
This completes the task of assigning volume discounts to products. It's a good idea to test volume discounts on the storefront to make sure they work as intended.
◄ Back to Help