An introduction to Payment Gateways in Auctiva Commerce
Auctiva Commerce provides a safe way to automatically complete payment transactions with the Payment Gateway feature. When you use a payment gateway, you'll be able to automate a variety of payment methods that ultimately decreases the amount of time and effort you'll spend processing an order. That means products can ship sooner and you're customers will be happier. This tutorial will explore what you'll need to setup a payment gateway so that your store can be optimized to take on more orders without creating a lot more work.
What is a Payment Gateway?
A payment gateway is a line of communication between your store and an integrated billing processor that automatically processes electronic payments. For a payment gateway to work, you need to set up an account with an integrated billing processor. A payment gateway is only mandatory for processing PayPal and credit card payment methods. The check (by mail), Purchase Order payment methods do not need a payment gateway.
How does a payment gateway work?
When an order is created, a payment gateway sends the customer's billing information securely to the billing processor. The initial authorize transaction will be completed by the billing processor and the transaction information will be synchronized with Auctiva Commerce. With the payment gateway in place, you can easily do additional post-order processing functions (i.e., Capture, Void, Refund, etc.) depending on the features provided by the billing processor.
What is post-order processing?
Auctiva Commerce has full-support for post-order processing. This includes the ability to authorize, capture, refund and void transactions after an order has been placed. Here are all the post-order processing functions that are available in Auctiva Commerce:
- Authorize: a customer's funds are verified as available and set aside for the pending transaction.
- Capture: a full transfer of the customer's funds pending authorization.
- Partial capture: a partial transfer of the customer's funds pending authorization.
- Refund: a customer's funds are returned from a previous capture.
- Partial refund: a partial amount of the customer's funds are returned from a previous capture.
- Void: a pending authorization of funds is cancelled. This does not refund a payment.
You can choose a billing processor that offers all these features or a limited variety of them depending on your needs. Additional features are often available to merchants that are unique to the billing processor and are accessed using the software or web applications from the billing processor.
Compatible billing processors
Auctiva Commerce works with several billing processor services. Choosing the right service depends on what payment methods you'd like to support in your store. As a starting point, ask yourself what payment methods your customers would like to use. Then, check to see which service provides the features you'll need and which of them will work within your budget. Every billing processor will assess its own fees based on your usage. Make sure to carefully read the terms so that you understand what the fees are and how they may change depending on the volume of transactions performed. Below is a list of services and a brief description of each. Use this as a starting point for your research.
- Authorize.Net: an easy Payment Gateway to setup with Auctiva Commerce as there is no additional software needed to process transactions. It offers full-support with Auctiva Commerce's post-order processing. Authorize.net processes American Express, Diner's Club, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, and Visa.
- PayPal: a popular online solution that has several different integrations with Auctiva Commerce. PayPal Website Payments Standard, Express Checkout and PayPal Website Payments Pro are all compatible with Auctiva Commerce. For PayPal Website Payments Standard and Express Checkout, the customer completes checkout in PayPal's website. PayPal processes American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. Post-order processing is fully compatible with Auctiva Commerce.
Payment gateway tutorials
Follow these individual tutorials to configure the payment gateways you want to use for your store.
Payment gateway tips
- Research each billing processor to see if it will work for your needs. Make sure to carefully read about the fees associated with each service.
- Check the Auctiva Commerce user community forum for more insight about what billing processors have worked for other merchants.
- Check to see if a particular billing processor has a free trial. In this way, you can test out the functionality and see if it works for you.